St Helen’s CofE Primary School, Bideford | Clinton CofE Primary School, Okehampton
Description of our character programme
Character Matters! Across Alumnis Multi Academy Trust, Character is the foundation of everything we do. Within every class and school our Trust crafts a characterful and holistic curriculum that has a positive impact on the school community and continually strives to have a positive, flourishing impact on the wider community in which we all live. Our approach is based on research from the Jubilee Centre and our schools are committed to creating a culture where Character and virtues are caught, taught and sought; weaved through all elements of school life and reach out to all.
Unique to Alumnis Trust are our Inspiring Changemaker Challenges, where every child has the opportunity to put taught virtues into practice. We believe that truly strong characters develop when a virtue is discovered and explored so it can be put into action. All of our children have opportunities to become inspiring researchers, speakers, fundraisers, volunteers, leaders, adventurers and skill builders as part of a characterful curriculum.
As a Trust of like minded characterful educators we are continually reflecting on the changing world in which we live and the impact this has on the schools in which we learn and teach. Our Character approach is weaved through policies and all elements of school improvement, it forms the basis of our recruitment and ongoing professional learning for all educators.
How we can help you
Alumnis MAT, as a Trust committed to character, has the capacity and desire to support other schools in beginning or continuing their own journey with Character Education, including:
• A discussion about why character matters and the motivation for your school or Trust.
• Sharing of strategic and operational expertise.
• Visits to any of our schools to learn more about our approach.
Our main piece of guidance is
At Alumnis Trust developing our Character Approach is a journey that still continues to evolve but is firmly rooted in the core vision. A shared vision is key to developing effective Character provision within your own school(s). Exploring why Character matters and researching ways in which it can be implemented effectively is fundamental in developing your own approaches. Time and space to reflect on current practice is essential.
The main benefits of our character programme are
- Our Character provision has been a Trust wide approach which each individual school has embraced and developed within its own individual setting. Leadership across the Trust fully supports the cultivation of characterful approaches at every level resulting in the whole school community benefiting from a collective vision and mission for education.
- Every classroom and every educator across the Trust has developed a shared character and virtue language that has resulted in greater collaboration and shared accountability, reflected in the curriculum design.
- Our approaches have seen our children (and staff) grow in a multitude of ways. Our Inspiring Changemaker Challenges have given children opportunities to take ownership of their learning, character and wellbeing. Children can talk up and about their own character, articulating why character matters and its impact.
Alumnis Multi-Academy Trust
Submit your details below and someone will contact you soon: